Sunday, October 20, 2013

Fever and Pulmonary Embolism

Motivation: Clinical lore has it that pulmonary embolism (PE) causes low grade fevers and should not cause a fever as high as 103F.  While deciding on the often pondered question of whether or not a person has PE, I have seen the degree of fever sway the decision one way or the other.  But, is this true?

Paper: Stein, PD, Afzal, A, Henry, J, et. al. "Fever in Acute Pulmonary Embolism" Chest (2000); 117:39-42.

Methods: In the PIOPED (Prospective Investigation of Pulmonary Embolism Diagnosis) study, retrospective analysis was made of presence of fever in patients with angiographically proven pulmonary embolism (PE).

Results:
Cohort: There were 363 patients from PIOPED study analyzed for this study.  Fever was present in 95 patients (26%; 95% CI: 22-31%).  Of the 95 patients with fever, 43 (45.3%) did not have other causes of fever - solely attributed to PE.  There were 46 (48.4%) patients who had an alternative possible etiology of fever - 15 with malignancy, 10 with infection, 6 with recent operation (top three causes).   Six did not have further investigation (so indeterminate cause).  Fever was not more frequent in patients with pulmonary hemorrhage or infarction than in those without.

Maximum Temperature: Of the 43 patients with available information on temperature, the maximum temperature was 100 to 100.9F in 24, 101 to 101.9F in 14, 102-102.9 in 3.  One patient each had maximum temperature between 103-103.9 and greater than 104F.

Discussion: The clinical lore turns out to be mostly true - majority of patients with PE associated fever have maximum temperature less than 102F.  What I thought was most cautionary, however, is that fever is an infrequent finding in PE (present in only about a fourth).  Even among those with fever, they were just as likely to have an alternate explanation as pulmonary embolism.  What I took away from this paper is that if patients with PE have fever, they still need a thoughtful workup.

4 comments:

  1. Somewhere the content of the blog surrounded by little arguments. Yes it is healthy for readers. They can include this kind of language in their writing skill as well as while group discussion in college.
    บรรเทาไข้

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prepared individuals are to an extraordinary degree decent individuals in the general populace. And this blog post is really good.Individuals who don't offer criticalness to getting ready and midriff their possibility in understudy life confront unlimited challenges in their sensible life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'M TOTALLY FREE FROM HEPATITIS B
      I’m Stephanie Brown, I was diagnosed with Hepatitis B 4 years ago, I lived in pain with the knowledge that I wasn't going to ever be well again. I have used several antiviral medications, but this could not fight the virus of me rather I got side effects of fever, muscle and joint pain. After  spending so much money on antiviral drugs but I never get better. I made research on the internet for herbal medicine. AS I was determined to get my lifestyle back and to be able to do things I am restricted from doing, I saw a lady’s post on how Herbal Dr. JAMES cured her of HIV with his herbal mix medicine. I contacted the same Doctor through his email....Drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com....we spoke, I told him all that I have been going through, and he told me not to worry that everything will be better again, so he prepared his herbal mix medicine and sent it to me through DHL courier company and told me the usage, after 21 days of completing the herbal medicine, I was totally free from Hepatitis B, I went to see a doctor for a blood test, After taking a sample of my blood for the test the result came out negative, I just can’t deny that I’m the happiest woman on earth this very moment, I’m so happy and thanks to Herbal Doctor JAMES,He also told me he cures  diseases   such as Alzheimer's disease, schizophrenia, Autism. Bipolar disorder,  Shingles, Melasma, Underactive thyroid, Melanoma, Cancer, Weak Erection, Wart Remover, HPV, Herpes, Fibromyalgia, HIV, Hepatitis b,Liver/Kidney Inflammatory, Epilepsy, Fibroid, Diabetes,COPD, Back pain, Nephrotic syndrome,Infertility.Cardiovascular diseases.lung diseases,Thyroid disorders ,PCOS,Contact him on his email and get rid of your diseases, he is a good  man  Email....Drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete