Monday, May 6, 2013

Chronic Kidney Disease and Bleeding


Motivation: A man with kidney failure from polycystic kidney disease abruptly bled inside his head.  We blamed it on dysfunctional platelets and used desmopressin (DDAVP) to try to reverse his dysfunctional platelets.  Did not work, and he herniated.  Does desmopressin or other interventions really improve bleeding from dysfunctional platelets?

As way of background, chronic kidney disease increases bleeding time through dysfunction of platelet adhesion and aggregation via a variety of mechanisms including dysfunctional von Willebrand Factor (vWF), anemia, and uremic toxin accumulation.

Paper: Hedges, S.J., Dehoney, S.B., Hooper, J.S. et. al. Evidence-based treatment recommendations for uremic bleeding. Nature Clin. Prac. Neph. (2007); 3: 138-156

Methods: Systematic review of published trials.

Results: 

Cryoprecipitate: Two small controlled trials evaluated cryoprecipitate infusion to replete dysfunctional vWF.  In a prospective trial, seven patients with bleeding time > 15 minutes were infused 10 bags of cryoprecipitate resulting in decreased bleeding time in all patients after 4 hours.  In a retrospective single center analysis, 5 patients were infused with cryoprecipitate resulting in decreased bleeding time in 2 patients and no effect in three others.

Desmopressin (DDAVP): In the one randomized trial with patients on hemodialysis with bleeding time > 15 minutes, one dose of 0.4 ug/kg of DDAVP resulted in normalization of bleeding time in two of eight patients and reduction in seven of eight patients randomized to DDAVP arm.  In another prospective single center trial, one dose of 0.4 ug/kg of DDAVP resulted in normalization of bleeding time in six of twelve patients in one hour.  In two hours, 3 out of 12 had normal bleeding times.  After 24 hours, all patients reverted back to prolonged bleeding time.  Finally, in a retrospective study, one dose of 0.3 ug/kg of DDAVP resulted in normalized bleeding time in 5/12 one hour post-infusion, 2/12 four hours post-infusion, and 1/12 eight hours post-infusion.

Estrogens: Has been tested in three randomized, placebo controlled trials.  In first trial, patients received 0.6 mg/kg of IV conjugated estrogens for five days.  All patients in the estrogen treated group had normalized bleeding time within six hours.  In subsequent randomized trial, the dose used was again 0.6 mg/kg of IV conjugated estrogen for five days.  Patients receiving estrogen had significantly decreased bleeding time at days  seven and fourteen with no significant effects on day 21 and day 28.  In the final trial, patients on HD were randomized to oral conjugated estrogen (50 mg) or placebo for nine days or till normalization of bleeding time.  In the five patients randomized to estrogen, bleeding time normalized in 3 of 5 patients and decreased to less than 50% in remaining 2 patients.  The most common adverse effect was flushing.

Discussion: For the actively bleeding patient with renal failure, dysfunctional uremic platelets can be treated successfully!  In the actively bleeding patient, besides desmopressin, cryoprecipitate can also be helpful.  But, perhaps more intriguingly, conjugated estrogens may be beneficial in the short term even after six hours.  While desmopressin is presumed to induce secretion of Factor VIII from endothelial cells, the mechanism of estrogen is less clear - may work by decreasing NO production or decreasing Factor S concentrations.  I had not really considered estrogen as part of the acute therapy.  In the future, when desmopressin does not appear to stop bleeding, I will turn to cryoprecipitate and conjugated estrogens.

This was a post after a while.  Next posts will appear more frequently.

1 comment:

  1. My life is beautiful thanks to you, Mein Helfer. Lord Jesus in my life as a candle light in the darkness. You showed me the meaning of faith with your words. I know that even when I cried all day thinking about how to recover, you were not sleeping, you were dear to me. I contacted the herbal center Dr Itua, who lived in West Africa. A friend of mine here in Hamburg is also from Africa. She told me about African herbs but I was nervous. I am very afraid when it comes to Africa because I heard many terrible things about them because of my Christianity. god for direction, take a bold step and get in touch with him in the email and then move to WhatsApp, he asked me if I can come for treatment or I want a delivery, I told him I wanted to know him I buy ticket in 2 ways to Africa To meet Dr. Itua, I went there and I was speechless from the people I saw there. Patent, sick people. Itua is a god sent to the world, I told my pastor about what I am doing, Pastor Bill Scheer. We have a real battle beautifully with Spirit and Flesh. Adoration that same night. He prayed for me and asked me to lead. I spent 2 weeks and 2 days in Africa at Dr Itua Herbal Home. After the treatment, he asked me to meet his nurse for the HIV test when I did it. It was negative, I asked my friend to take me to another nearby hospital when I arrived, it was negative. I was overwhite with the result, but happy inside of me. We went with Dr. Itua, I thank him but I explain that I do not have enough to show him my appreciation, that he understands my situation, but I promise that he will testify about his good work. Thank God for my dear friend, Emma, I know I could be reading this now, I want to thank you. And many thanks to Dr. Itua Herbal Center. He gave me his calendar that I put on my wall in my house. Dr. Itua can also cure the following diseases ... Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis B, Inflammatory Liver, Diabetis, Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,HPV,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.Weak Erection,Love Spell,Leukemia,Lun,Fribroid,Infertility,Parkinson's disease,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Fibromyalgia, recover your ex. You can contact him by email or whatsapp, @ .. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com, phone number .. + 2348149277967 .. He is a good doctor, talk to him kindly. I'm sure he will also listen to you.

    ReplyDelete