Sunday, May 16, 2010

Hepatorenal Syndrome

Hey Shamik,
I have a patient with alcohol-induced cirrhosis and ascites. In addition, he was found to be in acute renal failure at admission with a Cr 1.5 from baseline 0.8. My concern was his kidneys, and my question was regarding hepatorenal syndrome, the most dreaded complication of cirrhosis.

I did some research, which I thought was interesting. The mechanism of hepatorenal syndrome is multifaceted and still not fully elucidated. However, following the development of cirrhosis and portal hypertension, there is increased pressure within the splanchnic circulation, leading to increased production of nitric oxide. This causes local vasodilation of the splanchnic vasculature and pooling of blood. As such, there is reduced effective arterial blood volume, which kicks in the RAAS system. Consequently, there is renal vasoconstriction and decreased GFR.

There are two types of hepatorenal syndrome: type I is very bad with a survival of 2 weeks. With type I, there is a doubling of Cr usually above 2.5 and Cr clearance is generally less than 20. Type II, however, is more insidious; Cr is usually around 1.5 and clearance around 40. It is classically associated with ascites refractory to diuretics.

So, with my patient, I gave him a fluid challenge. This was somewhat counterintuitive because he had ascites and 2+ LE edema; he appeared outwardly volume up. However, in order to rule-out hepatorenal syndrome, the key is to rule-out renal failure of other causes, namely pre-renal. Notably, I also ordered a FEurea, which is more accurate than a FENa in the context of recent diuretic use; less than 35% is pre-renal. My patient was at 34%.

His albumin was 1.0, and he had a stable iron deficiency anemia. Instead of giving 1L NS, I gave him 1 unit of blood to both increase his circulating volume as well as his oncotic pressure. Then, I gave him a 500cc fluid bolus with IV NS. I figured that it would be useful to increase his oncotic pressure first and then give fluid as the NS would stay intravascular better--no evidence but it sounded logical.

His kidneys responded, and his Cr came down to baseline. He was pre-renal. What did I learn from this case:

1. Cirrhotics can be outwardly volume up (eg., ascites and edema) but intravascularly volume down (often from aggressive diuresis).
2. To rule-out hepatorenal syndrome, first consider the history, ie, has this patient been aggressively diuresed?
3. In the absence of history, check a FEurea and/or give a fluid bolus. I liked the idea of giving blood instead of NS in the context of anemia; kill two birds with one stone (ie, anemia and pre-renal failure). Obviously though, there are risks to giving blood products...
4. If the patient doesn't respond, further assess for hepatorenal syndrome. Apparently, dopplers of the renal arteries can assist with the diagnosis. I never got to that point, thankfully.
5. Lastly, a word about diuresis. Never forget to add a spironolactone to your lasix. Remember the RAAS pathway and the importance of inhibiting aldosterone!

5 comments:

  1. One more thing; I was trying to explain albumin and oncotic pressure to the family, which was going rather poorly. After a fumbled attempt, the wife finally said, "So albumin is like a sponge in your vessels, sucking in water." Exactly! I found it to be a helpful way of explaining an otherwise jargon-laden topic. Albumin is a sponge...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty instructive case! I would have jumped to hepatorenal syndrome, but I guess with ascites, patients are just as likely to have intravascular volume deficit. Hepatorenal syndrome in general carries a poor prognosis, but I didn't know that there are two types. I also like the concept of albumin and sponge - simple and true idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice case...I came across this article on sensitivity and specificity of fena and feurea in aki.

    Diagnostic Performance of Fractional Excretion of Urea and Fractional Excretion of Sodium in the Evaluations of Patients With Acute Kidney Injury With or Without Diuretic Treatment

    Am J Kidney Dis. 2007 Oct;50(4):566-73.

    Background

    The accuracy of fractional excretion of sodium (FENa) for the diagnosis of transient acute kidney injury (AKI) caused by decreased kidney perfusion is reported to be low in patients administered diuretics.

    Study Design

    This is a prospective study of diagnostic accuracy comparing the performance of fractional excretion of urea (FEur) with that of FENa to distinguish between transient and persistent AKI.

    Setting & Participants

    99 patients hospitalized at a tertiary-care center who developed AKI (≥30% increase in serum creatinine level from baseline within 1 week).

    Index Test

    FEur and FENa were calculated for each patient.

    Reference Test & Measurements

    Patients were classified as having transient or persistent AKI according to the clinical context and whether serum creatinine level returned to baseline within 7 days. Each group also was subdivided according to exposure to diuretics. FEur of 35% or less and FENa of 1% or less were used to define transient AKI. Sensitivity, specificity, and receiver operating characteristic curves were generated for each index test.

    Results

    Sensitivity and specificity of FEur were 48% and 75% in patients not administered diuretics and 79% and 33% in patients administered diuretics. Sensitivity and specificity of FENa were 78% and 75% in patients not administered diuretics and 58% and 81% in those administered diuretics. Receiver operating characteristic curves did not identify a better diagnostic cutoff value for FEur or FENa.

    Limitations

    Small sample size, variable exposure to diuretics, and a high proportion of preexisting chronic kidney disease.

    Conclusions

    In patients without diuretic use, FENa is better able to distinguish transient from persistent AKI. In patients administered diuretics, this distinction cannot be made accurately by means of FENa. FEur cannot be used as an alternative tool because it lacks specificity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. few week ago I felt some pains and I went to the hospital my doc told me I had hpv about 1 yr and I need to start the treatment early, he gave me some medicine to be taking and I told him no I’ll not, because I hated taking medicine when I won’t not see cure for the purpose. After I got home I started getting worried searching for strong advice and I found valid natural treatment online lot people says they got hpv cure from Dr onokun and I email Dr Onokun 3 days passed, I purchase his cure online some weeks after the process taking his treatment i got cured. I went for checkup twice after taking the natural treatment from the herbalist called Dr onokun and i tested negative. contact him on email: Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. 5 years ago I had warts, I was treated with some liquid applied to the warts they continued to grow and spread... The next 2 doctors did laser surgery to remove them. 1 year after the surgery, they grew back close to where the 1st ones were' so I was finally told it was hpv. I have had it for very long time, I contract it from my cheated boyfriend and I found out he was also infected and I end up the relationship between us. the warts was so embarrasses because it started spreading all over I have be dealing with this things for very long time the last treatment I take was About 2 years ago I applied natural treatment from Dr onokun herbal cure, a week after applying the treatment all the warts was gone. it's now 2 years and some months I don't have single wart or any symptoms of hpv. wow"" it's great, Dr onokun has finally cured me. Anyone living with hpv contact Dr onokun for natural treatment.
    His email address: dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com  

    ReplyDelete